Home Recording/Connecting a dynamic headphone to computer

Hi Larry,

I would like to record some vocals on my PC laptop and I am entirely new to this. I looked up some stuff on WWW but would like your opinions before I go out and buy the equipment. I am not really looking for the best sound quality and I guess dynamic microphones would do fine.

1) Do dynamic microphones work without a pre-amplifier?
2) Can I connect the microphone to a computer through the 3.5mm mic-in port on my laptop (by a XLR to 1/4 to 1/8 adapter) without needing a preamplifier?

I plan on using FL Studio with ASIO4ALL drivers. Please let me know if this is possible.

Thank you!

Hi Vargab - Even though I don't know the name of your laptop, it shouldn't matter.  You don't need a preamp,  but you might a matching transformer (XLR to a 1/4").  You can purchase one at Radio Shack or the like for about $10.00.  It is true the use of a dynamic mic doesn't require any transformer,  but don't plan on doing any overdubs.  Good luck with your mission!

Home Recording

Larry A. Staffen

I worked in Hollywood Ca. for 17 years as a recording engineer/musician. My forte is in analog recording (such as tape editing, bias, record/repro alignment, multi-track, mixing, so much more). As a musician, I also played guitar, keyboards, vocals, music arranging and occasional trumpet. I was quite busy! But due to health problems... here I am! I can respond in one to two days. Care to all, Larry

See above

Cup-a-music, ascap for a Chubby Checker song, '82

2 years associates degree in music, 2 years engineering school Sherwood Oaks experiamental college.

Credits: Lionel Richie, Donna Summer, James Ingram, Burt Bacharach, Delaney Bramlett, Marvin Hamlisch, Edwin Starr, Bill Conti, Franco Zeffirelli (film director)more.