Home Recording/Shure SV100 recording on a computer

Hi, Wayne

I plan to buy the Shure SV100 microphone to record some vocals on my Toshiba (Satellite Pro L300) laptop with Windows 7. I think I will need to buy a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter to be able to connect it into my Mic-in 3.5mm port. But, I am a little confused about the stereo/mono compatibility of the mic with the adapter. Does the mic record in mono? Will the adapter work with the mic? Here's the link to the adapter.

Thank you!

Actually - it may be a bit more complicated. The microphone is sending a mono balanced audio signal, and the input on your computer is a stereo unbalanced input. These do not work together very well at all (for the most part - not at all).

To further confuse things - 1/4" & 1/8" TRS plugs can be used for both mono balanced (requires 3 pins - hot, cold, and ground) or stereo unbalanced audio (Left hot, right hot, and ground). These signal types are not interchangeable.

The very best solution would be for you to get some sort of a mic preamp, and then from the output of that, go into the computer. There are also inexpensive cable adapters like this:

It may or may not work.

I would recommend that you contact Shure, and ask about connecting the mic to an unbalanced input, and get the direct answer from them.

I hope this helps!

Home Recording

Wayne Tapia

Ask me general questions about Location Recording, foley, ADR, Pro Tools, recording musical performance, post production for film/video & music. Specific gear questions may or may not be answerable as I don't own or have not worked with everything out there.

Certified Audio Engineer, Pro Tools Certified, Have experience with : Pro Tools (LE & TDM systems) Sony Suite (Vegas, Acid, Sound Forge) Waves Plugins (RTAS & TDM) Over 20 years live music recording and FOH mixing Feature & short film audio Mixing for 5.1 surround

Audio Recording Technology Institute - C.A.E. Vancouver Film School - Digidesign Certified User

See my online resume @ for client listings