Home Recording/Noise while recording guitar

Hi DrFord,

I tried recording on my Samick fa2 using trial versions of FL Studio and GuitarRig. I used a 1/4" jack cable to connect the guitar directly to the mic-in port of the laptop using a 3.5mm converter jack. The laptop has no dedicated sound card and I am using asio4all drivers to record in mono.

The problem is I constantly hear a small buzz when the guitar is connected. It does not change when I move the guitar around, pull the laptop charging 3-prong plug out, or even when I swap guitars.

Can this be solved by using a DI box? Or a USB MIDI interface? Or any other way?

Thank you!

Hello Vargab-

I would definitely try a DI box first before spending any large money. The problem is that headphone 1/8th inch is a noisy connection. It is not considered a "professional" cable, and the noise you are hearing is most likely a bad Grounding between the Guitar and the headphone jack.
The best thing you could do would be to buy an external soundcard. If you like using eBay, check out the Pro Fire 2626, it is widely regarded as the best sounding least expensive converter on the used market.

I have also heard from Guitar players that opening up the guitar and grounding the Guitar internally can solve noise problems. Watch this video and see if this is what you are dealing with. Maybe it will help.

Best of luck to you!

Home Recording

I can answer questions about; Recording Theory and hardware, advanced music theory and application, songwriting, industry level audio production / mixing / mastering, copyright, publishing, recording hardware and software, and musical instruction.

As a Producer and Composer, I have music featured in over 100 MTV / VH1 / E! network shows, and several international feature films. As a full time audio engineer, producer, and songwriter I have worked with industry greats, mentored up and coming artists, and have dedicated my life to music and music education. My production tutorial series is available online at is featured alongside Grammy award winning engineers and has received critical acclaim internationally.

Authorized Pro Tools Users Forum - "DUC" Music Tech Magazine (future publications)

I am a certified Pro Tools operator, Music Theory and Audio Engineering degree holder from M.I. Hollywood, and authorized trainer of several applications.