Home Recording/phono to TRS



I own a focusrite itrack solo with two phono outputs (http://www.dv247.com/assets/products/101697_l.jpg) and have just bought a pair of m-audio bx5 d2 speakers.

The speakers have a TRS input as well an XLR input; what do you think would be the best way to connect the interface to the speakers?

It may seem like a stupid question but I'm super paranoid about screwing the up my stuff by messing with different adapters and potentially too much signal going into different inputs etc.

Thanks a lot,

You will want a cable that goes from an RCA to a 1/4" TS connector, as the 1/4" jack on the speakers accepts unbalanced connections.

Alternatively, you can use a female RCA/male 1/4" TS adapter with standard RCA to RCA cables with no problems...

Something like this:

They're readily available online and retail... don't spend a lot, as one will function no better than another.

Home Recording

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Wayne Tapia


Ask me general questions about Location Recording, foley, ADR, Pro Tools, recording musical performance, post production for film/video & music. Specific gear questions may or may not be answerable as I don't own or have not worked with everything out there.


Certified Audio Engineer, Pro Tools Certified, Have experience with : Pro Tools (LE & TDM systems) Sony Suite (Vegas, Acid, Sound Forge) Waves Plugins (RTAS & TDM) Over 20 years live music recording and FOH mixing Feature & short film audio Mixing for 5.1 surround


Audio Recording Technology Institute - C.A.E. Vancouver Film School - Digidesign Certified User

Past/Present Clients
See my online resume @ http://imdb.com/name/nm2301451/resume for client listings

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.