Home Recording/pro tools express

Question
QUESTION: I have pro tools EXPRESS that came with my M-audio interface...I do some home recording.  I've done the following before but forget how to do it...

I have a violin track...I want to lower the volume of the entire track except for her solo.  How do i do it now that it's recorded    I have it on the edit window  see attached    How do I move volume bar up and down for PARTS of the track?

ANSWER: While I'm not 100% sure, as I haven't seen what features are available with PT Express, you should be able to highlight the portion of the region in question, and the adjust the highlighted area.
Another solution would be to add some automation points on the volume "line" before and after the solo.

QUESTION: YOU SAID:  
"highlight the portion of the region in question, and the adjust the highlighted area. "

I can highlight it, but what do you mean and how does one "adjust it"

Answer
You should be able to go to a view that shows the volume level for each track in the edit window ( represented by a line) . Add edit points to the line at each end of the parts you want adjusted, and you can move that line segment up or down which will change the volume.  

Home Recording

Wayne Tapia