Home Recording/speakers and audio interface

Question
QUESTION: Hello, I recently got a pair of YAMAHA HS7 active speakers, I also have "Audio DJ 8" interface from NATIVE INSTRUMENTS. I tried to hook them up with my iMac on which I am running Ableton as a DAW, but i am having problems installing the drivers for the sound-card. What I would like to know is what kind of audio interface should I buy and what cables should I buy so I can simply connect the speakers with the sound-card and the computer and get them running. I am also looking for a ONE to TWO MIDI channels on it.
The two cables i am using now are XLR with a adapter at the end for RCA input

ANSWER: Hello Anton-

While it is possible using SoundFlower that you might be able to force your Mac to see the NI Audio DJ 8, this is not what this box was built to do. All of the inputs were set to be at a signal level compatible with DJ TurnTables, which means they require a specialized "Mix Pre" that knows how to listen to the tone on the Vinyl Record, and boost it to a usable and EQ'd "flat" that listeners can use in systems. I'm sure Native Instruments has a Driver that comes with the install disk, or is available from their website free for registered users.

The Audio DJ was designed to be used with a DJ mixer, so if you did get it working as an output OUTPUT for your DAW, you would still need to take the signals and run IN to a Mixing board of sorts.  If you are going to spend any money on a new interface that would give you a better "all-in-one" step into the "Recording Studio" minded gear, I would STRONGLY suggest you go with the UAD Apollo line of products.   

It doesn't matter which software you want to use, the Apollo family is leading the market with price / quality / benefits. That will have Studio outputs and a Headphone Out.

If you want to go with Pro Tools, the MBox 3 Pro line of products are fantastic, proprietary, and come with Pro Tools.  

Let me know if you want more information, of if you have a specific budget in mind, I can look for products I would recommend to you in that price range.

Best of Luck-
Doc

QUESTION: uhm yeah I've looked at Apollo products before, I can only imagine what I am getting for their price range :)) show me something around $300-$400 price range.

Answer
Check out the M-Audio Profire 2626. It's a very inexpensive and useful converter box. Generally considered a "sleeper", this will give you a ton of in/ out options at your price range. You will be buying used, so make sure you get a demo of the working condition before you by. I have linked an eBay listing, just so you can see what I mean.  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/M-Audio-ProFire-2626-Digital-Recording-Interface-/191287

Doc

Home Recording

DrFord