Home Recording/fade out a digital music file

I want to fade out the ending of a digital file,  be it an
mp3 file, aiff, etc. I cannot determine how to achieve this.

It was simple to do with analogue casette decks, but how can we do
this on our computers ?
Also, I would like to equalize the sound output level on a batch
of audio files, mp3, aiff, etc. Is this possible ?

I use a mac, OS X.
All comments are appreciated.
James/ Toronto Canada

Hello James!

A simple request. Check out Reaper, it's a full featured DAW that will give you EQ and fade out. It is donation based, so try it out, and then buy it if you like it. There is also a Pro Tools free version with limited features, but would include EQ and fade, as well as in a pinch, you could use iMovie, or GarageBand, included in your Mac OsX install, and either would do the same.

Hope this helps, Audacity also come to mind, but I would recommend Reaper or Pro Tools Free first.

Thank you and good luck!

Home Recording

I can answer questions about; Recording Theory and hardware, advanced music theory and application, songwriting, industry level audio production / mixing / mastering, copyright, publishing, recording hardware and software, and musical instruction.

As a Producer and Composer, I have music featured in over 100 MTV / VH1 / E! network shows, and several international feature films. As a full time audio engineer, producer, and songwriter I have worked with industry greats, mentored up and coming artists, and have dedicated my life to music and music education. My production tutorial series is available online at is featured alongside Grammy award winning engineers and has received critical acclaim internationally.

Authorized Pro Tools Users Forum - "DUC" Music Tech Magazine (future publications)

I am a certified Pro Tools operator, Music Theory and Audio Engineering degree holder from M.I. Hollywood, and authorized trainer of several applications.