Home Schooling/Homeschooling (general)

Do you have any idea why this method has a better effect in our children ?

Hi, Tamara. Thanks for your question. It's a big one! I could write a book about how homeschooling positively affected my life. But instead, I'm going to recommend that you read some books on the learning theory behind homeschooling/unschooling. John Holt's How Children Learn and How Children Fail books are a good start. The Teenage Liberation Handbook by Grace Llewellyn is also good.

The reason I suggest those books is because homeschooling/unshooling is not really a "method" of education. It's a way of life in which learning is the focus, and that learning is not separated from any other part of life, but built into every moment. Being an unschooler doesn't end when someone turns 18 and graduates from high school. It endures as an approach to and outlook on life. And that's a wonderful thing!

Best of luck on your journey,

Home Schooling

Mae Kowalke

I can answer pretty much any question about homeschooling, particularly in relation to the unschooling method. I am happy to answer questions from parents who are homeschooling their children or kids/teens who are being educated at home. I can also offer perspective on life after homeschooling, and what it`s like to be a grown homechooler in college and the workplace.

I am a grown homeschooler. My three younger sisters and I were educated at home from K-12. We were unschoolers, so my experience lies primarily in that area of homeschooling.

Grown Without Schooling Magazine
Home Education Magazine
The Teenage Liberation Handbook
The Homeschooling Book of Answers