Home Theater/Connection of 3D Blu Ray player

Question
QUESTION: Dear Bobbert,
I have recently installed a Bose lifestyle 48 system with a Sony KDL40HX850. The connections between the two are by means of an HDMI cable and an audio optical cable. Now I wish to buy a Blu-Ray player with 3D capability and the ones I am considering are Sony BDP-S490 and the Philips BDP 3380/94. I would like to know which one is recommended and why. Also, What is the easiest way to connect either of the players to my already installed system and what separate cables/accessories will I need to purchase for the same?
Thank you for your time,
Prads.

ANSWER: Generally I would suggest going with a Sony player, so that any CEC/control features related to the TV will work properly (while it is supposed to be an open standard, generally going with equipment from the same manufacturer does pose an advantage in that it assures the features will work).

I'm assuming your current connections have the Lifestyle's HDMI output fed into the TV, and an optical digital connection returning from the TV to the Lifestyle 48 for audio playback using the TV's tuner, yes? Regarding adding the 3D Blu-ray player, you will need to connect it directly to the TV, and then make a separate audio connection to the Lifestyle system (digital would be ideal; it can be optical or coaxial).

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.

-bob

QUESTION: Thank you for your response.
Regarding the Sony BDP-S490, I would like to know if it would read the following external devices:
1. Buffalo 500GB USB 2.0 Hard Disk
2. Seagate 1.0 TB USB 2.0 Hard Disk
Thank you,
Pradheet.

Answer
Yes they should work, refer to the User's Manual (http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/4410140321.pdf) for more detail - see Page 18 regarding how to engage playback from those devices and Pages 36-37 regarding specific types of files and file structures the player can access (there are limitations on how many folders/how deep of a folder-tree you can use, and on what kinds of files it can actually playback).

-bob

Home Theater

Bobbert