Home Theater/BluRay Recorder?

I want to purchase a BluRay to replace my very old DVD Player Recorder, but I am not aware of BluRay Recorders.  Is such a product available? Thank you...

As far as I'm aware, no, recorders do not exist as stand-alone machines (at least in the consumer segment). There are professionally oriented BD recorders, but they will not be as user-friendly or feature-rich as what you may expect coming from a VCR or DVD recorder (which tend to mimic VCR functionality). Additionally, capturing HD content is a somewhat touchy area - most devices will not capture via YPbPr or HDMI (those that do tend to cost substantially more than just buying the content stand-alone), and are designed to source HD content via FireWire or similar, with the intention of connecting to a camcorder or camera.

Economically, you would be much better off buying a replacement DVD recorder, and a separate Blu-ray player for playback of commercial BD discs (assuming you have an HDTV to support it; BD is of no benefit if your TV is not able to support the higher resolution video). This would cost around a third to a quarter of a pro-sumer level BD recorder (and much less than a professional level setup built around a computer), and give you better functionality (as the stand-alone Blu-ray player will likely support other consumer-oriented features like BD-Live and web streaming).

Alternately, if nothing is malfunctioning about your current equipment, just add a Blu-ray player to the mix; it will handle DVD playback (in theory reducing wear and tear on the existing recorder), and you can retain the existing recorder for its functionality. The only benefit of a new recorder (aside from a new machine) is that many of them offer hard-drives for buffering recorded content (they can capture whether or not a disc is loaded, and then transfer from the internal hard disk to a DVD at a later date).

Home Theater

Questions regarding HTPC integration to home theaters, and general purchasing advice regarding home theater and audio systems, including headphones. Please no car audio or over the top PA systems.

General enthusiast, ~10 years as an audio and electronics hobbyist

Engineering student, various DIY experiences, personal hobby