Home Theater/tv - features - quality

I was wondering what gives a more immersive viewing experience in a plasma tv, a thinner bezel, or superior picture quality?  I recently purchased the Panasonic TC-P60U50 plasma (haven't even opened the box yet), which got very good expert reviews for picture quality (deep blacks, accurate color, etc.).  This tv has a medium thickness bezel though, at about 1".  I also liked another plasma, the LG 60PA6500.  This tv didn't get the best reviews for picture quality, although not bad, but the thing I like about this tv is it has the "TruSlim Frame" bezel, which is .59" thick.  I guess this tv would look better in a living room, but would it give a better viewing experience because of the ultra thin bezel?  It seems like tv's are all about this aesthetic today.  I've heard that thinner bezels make the tv seem even bigger than they really are.

I went with the Panasonic because I thought they made a better plasma than LG, and they are known for their reliability, but now I'm second guessing myself, and considering getting the LG, since I didn't consider the above.  Do you have any advice at all?  Thanks very much for your time.

Hello Dave,
Please read this article that I read early this year, that discusses the Plasma VS. LED OR LCD.

It may surprise you, but plasma TVs generally provide better picture quality for the price than LED or LCD TVs.
One reason people avoid plasma TVs is their reputation for burn-in, where an image "sticks" permanently on the screen. But if you watch TV or play video games like any normal viewer, then burn-in simply isn't a problem. In addition, the lifespan of plasma TVs is just as long as that of their LCD counterparts.
Another reason is that people perceive plasma as "old" and LCD, especially those with LED backlights (so-called LED TVs) as "new." Plasmas usually do look a bit chunkier than especially the thinnest LED models, but both are mature technologies, and stylish, thin plasmas are common today. Speaking of maturity, let's face it: a TV is not a smartphone, and a new one bought today will not feel obsolete two years from now.
As far as we're concerned, the only good reason to skip plasma is because it's too big. The smallest plasma TVs are 42 inches diagonal, so if you want something smaller, you need to get an LCD/LED model. Plasma TVs do use more power than LCD and especially LED TVs, but typically on the order of $30-$50 more per year -- hardly enough to be a major factor in most viewers' decision-making.
Further reading: LED LCD vs. plasma vs. LCD
(Credit: Geoffrey Morrison/CNET)
Picture quality P's and Q's
I consider the best picture quality for the money a sort of holy grail in the quest for a new TV. It's still consistently the No. 1 thing TV shoppers cite as important to their buying decision. If you don't place as high a priority on PQ, you'll get the best value by simply sorting a list of TVs by price and the screen size you want, choosing the cheapest from a brand you trust, and calling it a day. Or at least skip to the next section of this guide.
Unfortunately, picture quality is also the most difficult thing to judge for yourself without actually buying the TV and taking it home (and even then it might be tough!). It's dependent on numerous factors, including source quality, room lighting, and picture settings, that can affect the "true" potential of the TV itself.

Home Theater

M A Khan

Any question regarding Home Theater Systems. What to buy? How to do the hookup and troubleshoot. (Only surround sound hook up please) Please note that I am not a technician. I do not do projectors.I also do not make suggestions on what to buy. When sending me questions, please make sure you provide me with as much information on your equipment as possible. I would like to know on each equipment you are connecting, if you have HDMI, Optical and or Digital Coaxial ports and how many. Do not forget to include make and model of your equipment......Thanks

Retail Manager of Electronics

BBA and MCSE. Retail of electronics, computers and software.