Home Theater/external TV speakers

Hi Mr Khan,

I have HD Direct TV and a 2012 Panasonic HD TV model TC-P65VT50.  The Direct TV remote is programmed to control the TV on/off and volume along with the Direct TV box.  I would like to add external speakers and an amplifier and have the Direct TV remote also control the volume of the external speakers and turn the amplifier on/off along with the TV and Direct TV box (without having to change the slider on the Direct TV remote (AV1, AV2, TV). The TV has VIERA LINK, which, if I understand correctly, is Panasonic's name for HDMI-CEC.  The TV is connected to the Direct TV box with a high speed HDMI cable.  The only audio out on the TV is optical.  The TV has one HDMI-ARC In connector.

I generally understand that if I get an amplifier with HDMI-CEC then it will turn on/off with the TV and that the TV's remote will control the volume on the amplifier (the external speakers).  Please confirm this is correct and then....

Since the HDMI-CEC receiver links to the TV, and the TV is already linked to the Direct TV box, would all three turn on/off with the push of one button on the Direct TV remote, and would the Direct TV remote control the external speaker volume without having to change the input slider on the Direct TV remote #AV1, AV2, TV)?  If this would work, great.  If not, could you please explain why and offer any solutions that would work -- hopefully without having to use multiple remotes or having to change the control settings on a remote.

Meanwhile, any suggestions on things to look for on a 5.1 surround amplifier, speakers, and/or system.

Thanks so much for your help!

Hello Skip,
You can buy a Panasonic surround sound amplifier and connect the Viera Link to TV. This will turn on and off both TV and the amplifier. Since the  Direct TV is not a Panasonic Product. Viera Link will not be on the Direct TV receiver it will not be controlled by the Panasonic remote. There are some great products made by Panasonic out in the market. Please hear and see a demo and then make an informed decision.

Home Theater

M A Khan

Any question regarding Home Theater Systems. What to buy? How to do the hookup and troubleshoot. (Only surround sound hook up please) Please note that I am not a technician. I do not do projectors.I also do not make suggestions on what to buy. When sending me questions, please make sure you provide me with as much information on your equipment as possible. I would like to know on each equipment you are connecting, if you have HDMI, Optical and or Digital Coaxial ports and how many. Do not forget to include make and model of your equipment......Thanks

Retail Manager of Electronics

BBA and MCSE. Retail of electronics, computers and software.