Home Theater/Using an HDMI Splitter With My 2 TVs

This is kind of confusing but as tough as it is I'm going to try my very best to explain it to see if you can possible help me

I have a google-tv (or what some have called a media player) which I surf the net with via a 19 inch screen. Typically while I'm on the internet on google tv I'm also looking at cable on my 70 inch which is above it

When I'm looking at "internet" TV shows and movies from Google TV however, what,I'd like to be able to do is move the picture from the 19 inch to the 70 inch and then when I'm finished move it back to the 19 inch for internet surfing.

Currently my Cable and my DVD Home Theatre hdmi cables are going out to the 2 HDMI spots on the 70 inch and I switch the inputs depending in which one I want to look at between the two. Google TV goes out directly to the 19 inch.

In trying the figure out how to do this I purchased an HDMI splitter for my google TV thinking I could send the signal out from it to both TVs ... but for some reason it only sends out one signal at a time and I have to take the cables in and out and exchange them every time I want to look at internet tv on my 70 inch.

Is there some way that I can do this using what I have (maybe
hook it up some kind of way that I can switch the inputs on the screen between HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 like I do when I look at DVD home theatre. I could take the DVD player out of HDMI 2 mode and put the Google TV in that mode but I;d have to disconnect my DVD Home theatre to do it and when I disconnect it I lose the sound for the TV

I've been at this for hours and I can't figure it out

Can I do what I want to do with what I have and if so can you tell me what I need to do to make it work.

ANSWER: What you want, as initially described, is not possible with the hardware you have (the Google TV will never be capable of driving a multi-monitor system as described - it cannot have its output "dragged" to a given display, it only has a single output). You could connect an HDMI matrix switch to all devices and both TVs, and send the same HDMI signal to both TVs, but it would not fully accomplish what you're describing doing.

I'd be curious about this "HDMI splitter" that you purchased (such devices don't really exist, is partly why I'm curious; I know there are many unscrupulous Chinese manufacturers out there who will throw any combination of connectors on a wire and call it good, but HDMI (as a digital signal) cannot just be "split" as you would with say, line-level audio). You can get matrix devices that send the same output signal to multiple devices, but the issue you'd run into there is the TVs would track together (if they were on the inputs associated with the matrix switch).

However, there is another option unrelated to all of this:

You could use a computer to drive both TVs via HDMI, and browse the Internet and view movies through that device, which would allow you to drag windows around to wherever you'd like them to be. This would let you multi-task as you're describing, and retain the playback features. This of course depends on your net streaming service being compatible (e.g. Hulu or Netflix).

If you need more clarification or information, feel free to post a follow-up.

Sorry I'm just getting back, For some reason the Allexerts reply you sent  went to my junk mail and was in there checking it today and I just happen to find your response.

I probably wasn't as clear as I should have been in explaining the situation. I'm not trying to drag the picture on my goggle screen monitor to my big screen.  I just want the output signal that it sends to my small screen to be be sent to my big screen without  having to always physically take the google box's hdmi cable out of the small tv (monitor) and  put into my big screen tv

You say "You could connect an HDMI matrix switch to all devices and both TVs, and send the same HDMI signal to both TVs, but it would not FULLY accomplish what you're describing doing. ". Not sure what a 'HDMI matrix is" but f it won't FULLY accomplish what I want,  what would it accomplish ?  I guess I'm not sure I understand what you think I'm trying to accomplish that you think the matrix won't do. (It's very posible that is the soluti

Here is a picture of the splitter that I am currently using:

Item A) My HDMI splitter cable

They are pretty popular and are sold at a lot of computer stores

Here is a picture of a splitter box that goes to 4 tv's that I saw online that according to the picture is also supposedly to accomplish the same thing the one I have was supposed to accomplish.

Item B.)  HDMI splitter to 4 tv's

Problem is the one I have is to do the same thing (cost a little more) but I'm not sure why it doesn't and I would hate to get one and see the same thing happen again. I'm not sure whats going on and nobody else seems to understand.

Mines is simply a cable. The one above is a box. They also sell HDMI AB switches that are  that are electricity powered.  Here is a picture of something similar

Item C.) HDMI AB switch

A week ago I never new any of these existed but all 3 are pretty popular and sold at Best Buy and others and sell anywhere from $20 to $180.

I'm in no way at all and far far from being a computer geek and when I talk to them I seem to get more confused  then I was when I start talkinf.  I DO know that what I'd like to see is what you see in Item B is accomplishing except I am only dealing with two monitors (one which is a 19 inch and one a 70 inch).  And I don't plan on looking at both screens at the same time. The plan is to only look at one of them at a time and turn the small screen off and turn the big screen on when I want to do internet movies and TV.  The cable I have should accomplish it. They say as long  as one of the monitors is off it  should work, but when I turn one off, they both go off and when I turn one on, they turn on both and what I get is a gray screen on both  --- but no google tv.

If I had a computer I can see how the idea you suggested what would work but it would  X' out the google TV and that would defeat the whole purpose. I love google tv and I am not a fan of laptops and computers

Hope that better explain whats going on and hopefuly that will help you better help me :-)

Ah, your clarification makes more sense. Yes that can be accomplished with a matrix switch. (What I meant about the matrix switch not fully doing what you want is that it could not let you drag objects from one display to another; both displays will have the same image).

The cable you've linked is an impossible device (meaning it cannot work) - you can't just "split" a digital signal in that manner. It requires active circuitry to accomplish. Unfortunately this doesn't stop the unscrupulous from making and selling such devices (you can even find cables that will "convert" HDMI to VGA; which is also an impossible device without complex active circuity to convert digital-to-analog).

You want something like this:
Or this:

Gefen makes a number of more elaborate products that can do 4, 6, 8, etc outputs, but once you start getting into the range of 8x8 or 16x16 you are generally talking four-figure pricetags.
Here's some examples from Gefen: (these devices are targeted for commercial and professional installations - but I'm including them just for the sake of completeness; I'd probably go with the Monoprice option to save money).

You'll connect the Google TV to Input 1, and connect Output A to one TV, and Output B to another TV. This will send the same signal out to both televisions. Use the other input for another device that you want to monitor on both televisions, and use the other inputs on the televisions for separate connections of other devices (which will not be "shared").

The "why" behind the cable being an impossible device:

HDMI is a much more complex digital signal than something like line level analog audio or RF coaxial, and requires active circuitry to handle it on both ends. The devices also have to be certified by HDMI-Forum to legally bear the "HDMI" logo (and yes there are plenty of unscrupulous manufacturers who ignore this). The circuitry required to duplicate outputs is relatively complex compared to splitting something like the RF signal that you plug your television into from the wall, or the output of an mp3 player. Devices that can do this therefore are relatively expensive, and relatively specialized.

If you're curious, here's some information links:

Wikipedia on HDMI Communication:
HDMI on connecting HDMI devices:

I'd also suggest trying to return the cable you purchased if at all possible.

Home Theater

Questions regarding HTPC integration to home theaters, and general purchasing advice regarding home theater and audio systems, including headphones. Please no car audio or over the top PA systems.

General enthusiast, ~10 years as an audio and electronics hobbyist

Engineering student, various DIY experiences, personal hobby