Home Theater/New House with built-in speakers, but No Receiver

I have no idea what I'm doing, so let me start there.

We just moved into a newer house that has built-in speakers. In the living room, there are 2 front speakers and 2 rear speakers. In the dining room, there are 2 speakers. On the upper deck, there is one speaker. On the lower deck, there is one speaker.

All of the speaker connections are in the living room (there are a lot of them). I'm guessing this means that I need one receiver, and whatever I'm playing on the TV there will play everywhere (there are volume controls for all of the speakers in the dining room and decks).

What I'm trying to figure out is what type of receiver do I need? I don't see how I can hook up all of these speakers from the connections in the living room wall to the back of the receiver.

Any help for a newbie?

Hello BJ,
You need a receiver with multi zone capability.
This allows you to have home theater as well as cd, FM or other source
That can be heard in out door or other areas. Sony makes a nice receiver.
You can also use a 70 volt line for those areas where  you cannot hook up multiple speakers
to the receiver due to mismatch imprudence. Should you go for such a system. Radio shack has those transformers
That convert you 8 ohm line to 70 volts.

Links for you to read and making an informed decision.
25 Volt and 70 Volt Constant Voltage. Distribution Systems o a n u a a a - - . a. Line Matching ...
70-volt line transformer minimizes the power loss in the wiring, especially when wire length extends over ...

Home Theater

M A Khan

Any question regarding Home Theater Systems. What to buy? How to do the hookup and troubleshoot. (Only surround sound hook up please) Please note that I am not a technician. I do not do projectors.I also do not make suggestions on what to buy. When sending me questions, please make sure you provide me with as much information on your equipment as possible. I would like to know on each equipment you are connecting, if you have HDMI, Optical and or Digital Coaxial ports and how many. Do not forget to include make and model of your equipment......Thanks

Retail Manager of Electronics

BBA and MCSE. Retail of electronics, computers and software.