Home Theater/Yamaha RX-V467 Amplifier

QUESTION: Hello & Thank You Very Much For Your Help.
I got a Yamaha RX-V467   That when you start it up, it will cut off & shut down all the time. I am trying to fix it but I have a hard time because I`m on Oxygen and the sucker is big  and heavy.
I would like to know if you had fix one of those and know what is the trouble. It shut down 3 times and than you have to unplug it to try again.
Again  THANK YOU    Robert

ANSWER: Generally modern stuff like that isn't outwardly designed to be repaired (at least by end-users); you will likely have to contact Yamaha for repairs (and if it's brand new, I'd just return it for a replacement).

Some things to check before you send it back though:

- Are any of the speaker wires making contact with the metal enclosure? (sometimes a single whisker or two may get out of the binding post and touch the case) This can cause a short condition and trigger the unit's protection.

- Is the unit overheating? That is, does it do this behavior just sitting on an open table-top, or is it stuffed into a cabinet with a bunch of other equipment?

If those conditions aren't met it's very hard to diagnose something like this over the Internet, especially when Yamaha (and other similar manufacturers) don't tend to make available things like service/technician documentation for modern products. It's much easier (and safer (for you, and the equipment)) to send it back to Yamaha for servicing, or return it to the retailer where you bought it from for replacement.

QUESTION: Coming back to the Yamaha , its doing that just sitting on table nothing plug in and open and not over heating. I suspect a relay on the power supply board, there is no top on that relay. I do have experience in electronic & soldering. I used to work for a Electronic place as soldering.   Again THANK YOU.   Robert

The biggest problem that you'll run into, even if you have all of the assorted tools, measurement equipment, experience, etc to work on a device like this is that documentation is fairly sparse. It isn't like receivers/amplifiers/etc of 30-40 years ago where you could track down a service manual and work through a complete schematic. Additionally, large portions of the circuity will be bound up in surface-mounted ICs - so unless it's something stupid simple like a blown cap or bad relay (pursue this kind of repair at your own risk of course), the best you'll probably be able to do is trace the problem to whatever chip is giving you trouble, but actually replacing that piece may be nearly impossible (especially if it's one of the more complex controllers that has embedded firmware and a complex mounting scheme (e.g. if it's a BGA package)).

What it sounds like is happening if it's turning itself off, is the protection circuitry is tripping for some reason (and I hate to be this vague). This can be due to a variety of things going wrong (again, fairly complex device) - bad sensors, bad connections, shorts, PSU not hitting target voltages on start-up, a botched firmware flash (or any other number of firmware/software related issues) and so on. Again if it's something stupid simple and easily identifiable like bad wiring, that's one thing, but usually with these kinds of devices (especially if you purchased it used instead of "I've owned this for years and it just died on me after light use" scenario), it's a can of worms once you start digging into why they're screwed up (you'd be amazed how poorly some of these things get treated). If you're seeing visible damage to internal components like relays and the power supply section it's also entirely plausible that a previous owner attempted to repair, modify, etc the unit (and who knows what went on there), so that's also something to contend with.

I'm really not trying to be a harbinger of doom here, it's just an unfortunate reality of modern mass-produced electronics: they're really designed with replacement or manufacturer refurbishment in mind, not in-field repair.

Home Theater

Questions regarding HTPC integration to home theaters, and general purchasing advice regarding home theater and audio systems, including headphones. Please no car audio or over the top PA systems.

General enthusiast, ~10 years as an audio and electronics hobbyist

Engineering student, various DIY experiences, personal hobby