Home Theater/combo of DVD and stereo

I'm looking to buy a new DVD.  Are there any good system that combine dvd movies as well as listening to cd's etc.  There was one, the JVC jvc ex-a10

but it was discontinued.  

Any suggestions, please?

Thanks  Gabriel

ANSWER: DVD (and Blu-ray) players can play CDs, with only a very few historical exceptions, so any modern player will enable you to playback CDs as well. Integrated Home-Theater-In-A-Box solutions will also have this functionality, the primary consideration today being whether or not it can play Blu-ray as well. In order to provide more specific advice, it would help to know your budget, and what equipment you're hooking this new device into.

QUESTION: Thank you for your answer.  Budget is several hundred dollars, say up to  $400 or $500.
I wanted to connect a new big smart TV 65" , into this mini system and enjoy music from cs's as well as good sound from DVD movies.  The room is about 18' by 18'.

I've been looking at these two - the Yamaha can not play DVD

and the JVC can..

I may go ahead and buy a newer DVD player with a blue Ray though...

Thank you very much,   Gabe

ANSWER: You can buy a separate player from the speaker/amplifier system, and that is what I would suggest. It would be much more economical.

For example this player:

And then purchase whichever amplifier and speaker combo you want with your remaining budget.

If you want everything to match as Sony, for example, a stereo receiver like this:

And speakers:

Total would take you to around $300, and you would have larger/more capable speakers than a micro-sized shelf system, and more expansion options with the amplifier.

If you want or need Blu-ray playback, ensure that whatever player you select can do stereo analog output if you select a receiver like the STR-DH130. Alternately you would need to select a receiver that can handle digital audio inputs, like this Onkyo:

Within your budget I probably wouldn't attempt surround sound unless you're buying a complete package system, like this: (make sure to select as the seller to receive their customer service/returns as opposed to going with a third-party selling via Amazon).

It may be simpler to just go with the package system if you don't have a lot of devices, want surround sound, or don't require a traditional "stereo" system (the package will playback stereo audio, but it isn't as conventional of a stereo as the receiver + speaker combination).

Given your budget you could even select something fancier, like this:

It really all depends on what you want to do, but I wouldn't limit myself to micro shelf systems, especially for a relatively large room and paired with a large TV, as there are much better options available within your budget.

If you have further questions, feel free to ask.

QUESTION: Hello again,

First thank you very much for such a detailed answer.  

I forgot to mention two important things.

1 My wife prefers not top have wireless equipment around us because she thinks they may cause health hazard in the long run.

2 We have an old antique furniture in which our current old TV is located ( not LCD or plasma the old heavy one which still works perfectly but is starting to become absolute as sometimes we have to guess the writing that is out of the screen..)  , it is not big, and thought that we can fit all the new equipment on top of it.

So there will be a considerate amount of  difference between one of the two systems I was looking at and the combos that you have suggested?  

If you will have to go with a mini system or bookshelf system, what would you have chosen than?  

Thank you very much,   Gabe

In response to your questions:

1) There is no evidence to support this, and nothing to fear with consumer equipment. And beyond that, unless you live in a very isolated/insulated structure (e.g. it has RF/EM shielding) you are exposed to all manner of wireless transmissions, RF/EM emissions, etc on a daily basis from various sources (broadcast radio, satellite TV, cellular phone networks, microwaves, etc). I wouldn't worry in the least about consumer wireless equipment being a health problem.

2) I'm not fully understanding your question (do you mean that you're using an antique TV that this equipment has to hook into? Or just using an antique TV as furniture?), however I would reiterate that I would not go with a micro shelf system for what you want. It does not offer the performance or features you need, especially for the large room you're placing it into - if compactness is what you need beyond anything else, either use the TV's integrated speakers, or look into a sound-bar system that will integrate with the TV. Of the solutions I suggested, they will all offer superior performance, features, and capabilities compared to the little shelf systems. The packaged 5.1 systems, however, would be fairly compact as the satellites will be small, the control/main unit will be the size of a disc player, and the only thing that has to be "hidden" is the subwoofer (just tuck it behind a piece of furniture or set it in a corner etc). If compact-ness is the goal, I'd go with one of the packaged 5.1 systems. If the wireless feature is really a turn-off (and note that I'm not trying to force you into something you don't feel comfortable with, just trying to provide information that research shows it not to be a health risk), they make fully wired sets but you may need to extend the wires for the surround speakers (which is very inexpensive to do). Alternately, a soundbar may be a good candidate as well (you would need to purchase a separate player as well, but they aren't very expensive).

If you need further information or clarification, feel free to ask.

Home Theater

Questions regarding HTPC integration to home theaters, and general purchasing advice regarding home theater and audio systems, including headphones. Please no car audio or over the top PA systems.

General enthusiast, ~10 years as an audio and electronics hobbyist

Engineering student, various DIY experiences, personal hobby