Home Theater/TV audio over stereo speakers

Question
Pioneer receiver
Pioneer receiver  

RCA DVD
RCA DVD  
I have an Emerson 32in LCD LC320EM2, an RCA DVD player DRC245N, and a Pioneer A/V receiver VSX-451.I can access user manuals for the Emerson and RCA units, but not the Pioneer. I want to play the TV and the DVD audio thru the Pioneer but I don't know how to connect it. The input/output jacks on the Pioneer aren't designated in LED and DVD nomenclature. I think the Pioneer is a 1992 model. I hate to admit it, but I need help on specifically what jacks should be connected with each unit for video and audio in/out. The jacks on the back panel of the receiver are, bottom row, from left to right, phono, CD, tape 1/DAT, tape 2 monitor, LD, VCR 1, and VCR 2.
The top 6 jacks are for video in/out. Specifically, which jack of the TV should connect to which jack on the DVD player and on the receiver. If you can help me with this it would be greatly appreciated. The speakers work fine on the receiver, but the most I can get out of the TV is a hum. Where does video go? To the dvd player only, and where does audio go? From the TV to the receiver only?

Answer
The composite (yellow) video out and stereo video outputs from the RCA DVD player can connect to any of the inputs on the Pioneer that aren't marked "Phono" (only an unequalized turntable can be connected to this) or "Out" - any of the video in for LD, VCR, etc will be fully compatible. You would then connect the video out from the Pioneer to the video in on the Emerson (standard composite connection).

However, before you do that, the Emerson TV appears to support component video in, and also appears to be an HDTV. The DVD player is listed as a progressive scan model as well - which means that you can get a much higher quality picture from the DVD player and TV by connecting the component video (green/red/blue) connectors from the DVD player to the TV's input. Then enable progressive scan (may alternately be called "480p" in the owner's manual) on the DVD player, as well as selecting "16:9" or "Widescreen" output (you will probably still have to switch the TV into "Wide" or "Widescreen" mode for anamorphic DVDs (they will say "Anamorphic Widescreen" or "1.85:1" or "2.35:1" on their packaging) to get the correct aspect ratio (most TV's don't auto-detect this)). This will provide the highest possible picture quality from DVD.

Then connect the stereo left/right connections from the DVD player to any of the audio inputs (doesn't matter if there's an associated video input or not - you just aren't connecting to it, and the receiver isn't aware of that either way) on the back of the receiver. If the receiver has center/surround speakers enabled (it is a Pro Logic model from the early 1990s, so it does support surround sound in a manner), configure the DVD player's audio output for "Lt/Rt" if possible - this will improve compatibility with the Pro Logic decoder (you can use Pro Logic even if that switch isn't set, but with that switch set the DVD player will provide a more compatible mix, which will give the Pro Logic decoder an easier time of generating the surround sound effect).

If you have further questions, feel free to ask.

-bob

Home Theater

Bobbert