Home Theater/connecting

QUESTION: Hello again

I tried to connect the coaxial cable into the adapter.  There is a yellow hole and it says under it coaxial in.  However, when I put the cable inside and try tightening the nut it won't tighten at all.  I tried using my fingers, than a wrench - nothing.  Further more, the place in which I am trying to connect it to in the adapter, is round - not is a shape of the nut.  I tried 3 different coaxial cables and seems they are all the same size.

Please try toexplain me and thank you again,    gabe  

your answer
"You will take an optical or coaxial connection from the Blu-ray player to the digital adapter, and then the red/white connections from the digital adapter to the stereo receiver."

ANSWER: Ah, I see the problem! By "coaxial cable" I didn't mean the threaded f-connector (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F_connector) that you use for television signals. There will be an identical looking jack as on the adapter, on the Blu-ray player (. This connector is alternately known as RCA, cinch, pin, etc (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RCA_connector). Use such a cable to connect the two. There is no interaction with the terrestrial or satellite TV wiring.

You can use one half of a red/white pair (just match the colors), or a cable that was used for video (it will likely be yellow, but one third of a YPbPr would also work).

QUESTION: Hello again

Well, After connecting from the Sony Blue Ray into the adapter and from the adapter into the Sony receiver Audio IN under BD DVD, still have the problem of no sound from the speakers while playing any DVD.  The speakers, Also Sony, have very nice sound once I am on TV.  I contacted Costco service  to help me.  He was very nice, tried several options but no results.  He said that there is a very slim chance that the adapter is not fully compatible with the sound and gave me a Sony number to call and ask.  I did.  I was referred to TV Dept.  and than while going to the back of the TV to answer a connection question from him, I was disconnected at his end...Called again - closed.

I wonder if you could be kind enough to  direct me here, maybe from the beginning? how to connect this so that I can hear the speakers while playing a movie?  Actually all is Sony here.  The speakers, the receiver, the TV and the Blue Ray player.  I thought they would be nice and compatible...  

Thank you very much again,    Gabriel

ANSWER: I believe we're very close, just to clarify before continuing confirm this is how you have things connected right now:

Sony Blu-ray Player Coaxial Digital OUT -> FiiO adapter Coaxial Digital IN (using an "RCA" cable) -> FiiO adapter Stereo Left/Right OUT -> Sony receiver Stereo Left/Right IN (using a red/white "RCA" cable).

If yes, all that's left to do is tell the Blu-ray player to output a format that the Fiio adapter can decode. Specifically, it needs to be told to output PCM, as opposed to Legacy Bitstream. The directions specific to your player for this will be in the user's manual, and if I can have the model number of the player I can likely look this up on Sony's website. Alternately, if you want to thumb through the manual on-hand, what you're looking for is the Audio Options sub-section of the Settings or Configuration heading of the manual (it may also have the word "Advanced" somewhere in it - like "Advanced Configuration" or "Changing Settings - Advanced"). There will be an option there for changing the Digital Audio Output and you will probably have two or three options, which will include PCM - PCM is what you want. If you know how to open the player's configuration menu, just go into its audio options and look for this setting there. Once that's set, the player will output the correct format for the adapter, and you should have sound from DVDs.

Again, if you're unsure on this procedure, providing the model # of the player will let me look it up for myself, and I can very likely direct you to the specific page in the owner's manual that describes this setting, as well as provide step-by-step instructions through the player's configuration menu.

I just returned my new Sony TV to Costco because the picture wasn't clear.  When the person working at Costco found out that my receiver is analogue only, rather than digital HDMI, they said they even with the adapter I will never get a true HDMI picture because the connection between the Sony receiver STY 130, and the TV is only analogue.
Is this true?     So I am told the Sony was probably good.  I am confused.  

Thank you for all the advise you have been giving me. It is greatly appreciated.  

Sincerely,   Gabriel

Frankly: the person at Costco is entirely wrong and it sounds like they made up an answer rather than admitting they don't know something.

The HDMI connection from the Dish and Blu-ray boxes to the TV is direct, and that's as good as it gets. The receiver has no bearing on this, because it never touches the video signal. The only thing a more expensive receiver would get you is the ability to switch and process HDMI via the receiver, which is not generally necessary when you only have one or two sources. There also should be no connection between the TV and receiver directly - you're connecting audio outputs from your source devices (Dish and Blu-ray) to the receiver directly, and video outputs to the TV directly. For further vindication, this is exactly how THX specified doing it for decades, until the advent of receivers that can process HDMI (HDMI in its "full" implementation also carries audio, but for your situation the convenience is outweighed by the price of a receiver that handles HDMI).

What exactly was wrong with the TV's picture?

Home Theater

Questions regarding HTPC integration to home theaters, and general purchasing advice regarding home theater and audio systems, including headphones. Please no car audio or over the top PA systems.

General enthusiast, ~10 years as an audio and electronics hobbyist

Engineering student, various DIY experiences, personal hobby