Home Theater/HDMI ports

QUESTION: Recently my TV (Panasonic Viera 65" Plasma) was moved and the HDMI1 cable was removed from the TV to allow movement away from the home theater system. While tha cable was on the floor a workman stepped on the end and distorted it. In an attempt to see if the cable still worked the workman attempted to plug it back into the HDMI1 TV input port and damaged the port so that it no longer functions. New cable and connection to HDMI2 input port.
Works but picture color, contrast and general quality is much deteriorated from before. Does this make any sense? Are not all HDMI inputs created equal?

ANSWER: Hello Greg,
All HDMI PORTS specs are the same. Try using a new cable and make sure firmware is up to date.

QUESTION: The cable is new, the old famaged cable ruined the HDMI1 port. A new cable had to be used to make anything work. Technician say that the old bent end damaged the HDMI1 input and that the deterioration of color and contrast is because we are forced to use HDMI2 input and all will be well well. I am skeptical.

The HDMI specification defines the protocols, signals, electrical interfaces and mechanical requirements of the standard.[42] The maximum pixel clock rate for HDMI 1.0 was 165 MHz, which was sufficient to allow 1080p and WUXGA (19201200) at 60 Hz. HDMI 1.3 increased that to 340 MHz, which allows for higher resolution (such as WQXGA, 25601600) across a single digital link.[43] An HDMI connection can either be single-link (type A/C/D) or dual-link (type B) and can have a video pixel rate of 25 MHz to 340 MHz (for a single-link connection) or 25 MHz to 680 MHz (for a dual-link connection). Video formats with rates below 25 MHz (e.g., 13.5 MHz for 480i/NTSC) are transmitted using a pixel-repetition scheme.

In my honest opinion, A HDMI PORT IS A HDMI PORT NO MATTER IF IT IS HDMI1 or HDMI 2. I am sorry for what someone did to your T V.  

Home Theater

M A Khan

Any question regarding Home Theater Systems. What to buy? How to do the hookup and troubleshoot. (Only surround sound hook up please) Please note that I am not a technician. I do not do projectors.I also do not make suggestions on what to buy. When sending me questions, please make sure you provide me with as much information on your equipment as possible. I would like to know on each equipment you are connecting, if you have HDMI, Optical and or Digital Coaxial ports and how many. Do not forget to include make and model of your equipment......Thanks

Retail Manager of Electronics

BBA and MCSE. Retail of electronics, computers and software.