Homeopathy/8 months post-pertussis morning cough/phelgm

Question
Hi Ati Petrov,
I am a 27 year old female.  This past winter I was diagnosed with Pertussis – symptoms started end of September 2012.  It’s been almost 8 months and though the Pertussis symptoms are gone, I’ve been left with chronic bronchitis.  I cough up phlegm every morning.  I am fine (no coughing) throughout the rest of the day and night.  I’ve tried pertussinum 30C with no improvement.  What other homeopathic remedies would resolve this morning cough/phlegm?

Answer
Dear Michelle,

Sorry for the long delay in responding.
What I would do in your case is give daily doses of Pertussinum in ascending potencies: 30C one day (1 dose), 200C the next, 1M the next and 10M the one after that. Sometimes people need to start with 12C or end with 50M, but 30C to 10M is a good baseline potency sequence to knock out what remains of the disease.

Sometimes the lungs need to be strengthened and you can google all kinds of ideas for that - herbs, Schussler salts, vitamins, etc. You must make sure you don't have mold or dust or other irritants that cause accumulation of mucus at night, but I doubt this was the case.

There are many other good remedies to use in addition to pertussinum, for cough. But they are almost too many to list here without knowing exactly what your symptoms are and also considering other mental and emotional signs that can point us to the right one. You can try listing your symptoms on ABCHomeopathy.com for a free evaluation and check out some other cough remedies.

Here is the mind-body connection related to "pertussis":

WHOOPING COUGH (intense gasping coughing, with a "whooping" sound in be¬tween coughing episodes)
They have intense inhibition around self-expression, along with guilt over what they want to say. There is something they need to speak out about, but they can't bring themselves to do it.
They have a strong desire to bark at the world in a "See me! Listen to me, damn it!" manner. They feel not noticed, appreciated or loved They are abandonment- and re¬jection-paranoid. But at the same time, they are agitated, disturbed and rejecting of ideas that scare them or that might lead to total rejection.

***************************************
They feel that they are so unimportant that they have nothing to say, and that they have no right to expect any form of attention or acceptance from other people. They feel that they are in effect "trivial" and "worthless".

***************************************
"Runamok-anxious". They feel that they are in effect an out of control "careening cannon" who would, if they spoke up or were heard, in effect devastate the world. They are therefore terrified of speaking out, and they are profoundly ashamed of themselves for what they would say and do if they could.

***************************************
They are choking on life in a guilty and self-disgusted manner. They are also sure that what they would say or do would only lead to negative outcomes.

Homeopathy

Ati Petrov DHHP, DIHom (Pract.)