Honduras/sending a SUV to roatan

Question
Hello,
 I have a home in roatan. I want to ship a 2003 bmw x5 suv to use there. I have a good deal available to buy this for $5500.
I know that the shipping cost is about $900usd. What are the duties and registration costs ? Is the duty based on what I pay for the car or some book value or ?? I am getting a good deal because the dealer needs some antique parts I have so I pay the $5500 cash only on the invoice. Title is clear and car was built in March of 2003. Please any help would be appreciated
Thank You

Answer
Hi, your X5 is considered a luxury vehicle and taxes are around 40% of its invoice value. Be sure to have your invoice and tell the seller he may have to authenticate the invoice if Honduran customs require. If they think you have a fake invoice they will calculate taxes based on Bluebook value. The law states that you can only import cars that are less than 10 years old so i think you are ok in that matter.

Good luck

Honduras

JRA