Horror Books/Horror Short Stories

Carolyn Treadway wrote at 2008-06-06 21:07:00
"The Rose Crystal Bell"...I read it about the same time as Mark, in an anthology of horror stories.  A woman finds the bell in an antique shop and is told by the owner of the shop that it is cursed...when the bell is rung it can bring a dead person back to life, but someone else must die in their place.  Her husband is a doctor and she also has a young adult son.  The part that Mark is remembering about the hospital is the part where her son has gone on a road trip with some friends, and in the middle of the night, the woman receives news that her her son had been killed in a horrible accident in which all the passengers had died.  Throughout the story, she has had several experiences which lead her to believe in the bells powers as described by the shop keeper, so upon hearing about her son's death, she goes to the hospital and rings the bell.  Shortly thereafter, her son comes out and greets her telling her that there had been a misunderstanding because he had been in a different car and not driving the destroyed vehicle as had been reported by the police.  She drops the bell in shock and it shatters in pieces, and about that time something causes her husband to fall (or something) and a shard of the bell becomes embedded in his heart and he dies.

This was one of the best stories from the best horror anthology I have ever read - If I remember correctly other stories included a story about a man who purchases an antique sea trunk (still horrifying), and a story about a young radio show host named Danny called "Do You Believe in Ghosts?", as well as several other great stories.  The "Footsteps Invisible" may have also been in there because it sounds very familiar!  I hope this helps!

s-vhs wrote at 2008-10-04 15:15:01
I have never read the book but have seen the movie on TV in Ithaca, NY about 40 years ago. It was on a Saturday afertnoon hosted TV movies show called "Movie Matinee." I loved the story. I remember the accident at the end with the child on a bike. I remember the crystal bell and the fact that if you brought back a life, another person would lose theirs. What a great story, I wish I could get a copy of that movie. I've been looking for years.

Donovan wrote at 2009-12-05 10:18:50
I also remember reading this book of collected ghost stories by Robert Arthur, "Ghosts and more Ghosts" in my elementary school's library. The second story mentioned was indeed called, "The Rose Crystal Bell".

Here is the book's Table of Contents:

Footsteps Invisible

Mr. Milton's Gift

The Rose-Crystal Bell

The Marvelous Stamps from El Dorado

The Wonderful Day

Don't Be a Goose

Do You Believe in Ghosts?

Obstinate Uncle Otis

Mr. Dexter's Dragon

Hank Garvey's Daytime Ghost

Great stuff! There's one other collection book I must find, but that one has proven to be nearly impossible..The only thing I remember was the collection also contained "The Upper Birth", which is probably my favorite Ghost Story of all time!

Mari Thelander wrote at 2010-09-24 20:27:37
You are correct in thinking that questioner Mark Perry who asked about a story called "The Red-Crystal Bell" is thinking of "The Rose-Crystal Bell" by Robert Arthur, Jr.  What I would like to add is that "Ghosts and More Ghosts," the anthology of Robert Arthur, Jr. stories that you mention as including "Footsteps Invisible," ALSO includes "The Rose-Crystal Bell."

railfan365 wrote at 2011-07-18 20:14:55
In "Footsteps Invisible", the events of the story are a little different than the first posters memory. At the start, we are intorduced to a Times Square area blind newsdealer who can identify his regulars by their footsteps. It was on a stormy night. The first person to come by is the regular beat cop, who pauses briefly to converse. After Clancy the cop leaves, the blind man hears strange footsteps. when Clancy passes back, he denies having seen anyone else. It is then that a famous archeologist, who is a regular, comes by, and asks the newsdealer(Jorman by name) to come up to his hotel room. He tells how he's been on the run for the last 5 years, due to violating an obscure, but serious, rule in an Egyptian tomb. He tells how he's been doggedly chased around the world by a pjwerful enemy in regard to this, whom he has trouble describing, except for the sound of his footsteps. It turns out that the strange footsteps heard earlier belong to the enemy, whom Jorman was being asked to listen for. Just then, the enemy comes up to the hotel suite, and the archeologist jumps. When Joprman gets downstairs, he hears his freind's footsteps running away, and the enemy's footsteps following just as he trips over his friend's dead body.

Stephen Thorn wrote at 2011-10-16 19:12:15
I have the book "Ghosts and More Ghosts" on my favorites shelf.  I've had it since grade school and have enjoyed it often.  The story you called "The Red Crystal Bell" is actually "The ROSE Crystal Bell" and it's about a bell that, when rang, will restore to life any newly-dead within hearing -- but some living person nearby will die in exchange.  "Footsteps Invisible" is a marvelous short story.  I heartily recommend the book for any lover (age 12 and above) of scary tales.

doug wrote at 2013-02-15 10:26:06

Hi!

The collection is "Ghosts and more Ghosts". it's a collection of stories by Robert Arthur.

The 1st story you mention is called "Footsteps Invisible"

And the 2nd story is actualy called "The Rose Crystal Bell".

http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?214449

I hope that this helps.

Take care.

Doug

Horror Books

Easterly Iscriptikus