Horror Books/Vampire story

MARMITE wrote at 2008-05-23 21:05:58
I too am looking for a book about vampirse who inhabit ( take posession of a tourist boat in the southern US ) some of the vamps. are, as I recall, good guys who are working on a drink that will prevent the need ofr human blood. The story is of the conflict between the two groups

( want to drink blood and don't want to drink blood ) humans get in the way and are hearded into cabins on the boat and kept there until they are killed. Like a larder.

Sound like the same book?

I want to say it is called 'Riverboat' but I too am still searching for it. Good luck

k

doug wrote at 2013-02-15 09:53:33
Hi!

I think you are talking about "The Canal" by Everil Worrell.

Here's a quote from the "Vault of Evil forum"..

Everil Worrell - The Canal: (Weird Tales, Dec 1927). Morton is a man much given to solitary midnight strolls and is delighted when he comes upon a stretch of canal-way outside the sleeping city, even more-so when a strange and beautiful young woman calls to him from across the water. He offers to cross to her side but she is horrified at the suggestion. Instead, she will come to him some nights from now when the water has drained into the loch. The girl (unnamed throughout) explains that she lives here with her father and must keep watch by night as he does by day, for they have suffered persecution and been driven from the city. Morton has already fallen in love with this charming creature and unwisely vows to do her will in all things, learning too late that she is the girl in whose cabin a child's mutilated corpse was discovered, hence her flight. By the time she crosses the canal, Morton is aware that she is a vampire, and neither can disguise their hatred for the other. But he's given his word and must carry her across the bridge where she feasts upon the first unlucky stranger she asks for help while he watches jealously from the shadows. Morton realises he must destroy her, but first he wants to taste the vampire's bloody kiss.

"Do you think you would be helping me to tie me to a desk, to shut me behind doors away from freedom, away from the delight of doing my own will, of seeking my own way? Rather this old boat, rather a deserted grave under the stars for my home!"

A positive feeling of kinship with this strange being whose face I had hardly seen possessed me. So I myself might have spoken, so I had often felt though I had never dreamed of putting my thoughts so forcibly. My regular and daytime life was a thing little thought of. I really lived only in my nocturnal prowling. The girl was right. All life should be free!"

A half century later, throw in wearing a neat leather jacket and a spiky haircut and that would be mantra of The Lost Boys.

Read more: http://vaultofevil.proboards.com/thread/1814#ixzz2Kxa2bsOd

I hope that this helps.

Doug

Horror Books

Easterly Iscriptikus