Horse Racing/Info on 1940's jockeys

Question
QUESTION: Hi,
My father was a jockey in the early 1940's.  Later, after he became too heavy, he was a jockey's agent.  He died when I was 2 years old and I am wondering where I might be able to find information regarding his career.  His name was Harold Daniel Adams.  I know that he was the agent for Jack Westrope and possibly for Eddie Arcaro and George Woolf (I know these guys were close friends of my father but not sure if they were also clients).  I know that my father was a jockey at Haleigh when he met my mother.  Later, when he was a jockey's agent, they lived in California.  So far, I have only been able to find a couple of old newspaper articles that mention my father.  I would like to find more detailed information about his career in horse racing.

Carol

ANSWER: It is very interesting that your father was a jockey back then and possibly connected to Eddie Arcaro & George Woolf.
I would try several groups or organizations (that I will mention) to get the specific information on your fathers' riding career in the 1940's. Now, if one of these groups or organizations don't have the exact information that you are looking for then I'm very sure they will at least be able to point you in the right direction to then obtain what you are seeking.
Here are a list of groups to contact to help you get information on your fathers' riding career; (1) The Racing Hall of Fame & Museum (located in Saratoga, NY), (2) The Jockey Club, (3) Equibase(Equibase.com), (4)Daily Racing Form (Drf.com), (5)CARF (California Association of Racing Fairs), (5) Specific tracks in the State of California where he raced, (6) Hialeah Park (located in Hialeah, Fl).
And here is the contact numbers for each organization:
*The Racing Hall of Fame & Museum #518) 584-0400.
*The Jockey Club #(212) 371-5970 or #(859) 224-2700.
*Daily Racing Form #1-800-306-FORM (3676).
*CARF #Phone: (916) 927-7223.
*Hialeah Park #(305) 885-8000.
I hope all or some of this information helps you in your search for your fathers' career and please get back to me to let me know what you found and let me know if this information was helpful.
Good luck and All The Best on your search!

QUESTION: Hi Hal,  
Thank you so much for the names/phone numbers of the organizations that might be able to help me.  I do have one follow up question...  Are there any organizations for the jockey's agents where I might be able to find a list of the jockey's my father represented. The organization would need to go back to the late 1930's and 1940's.

Thank you again!
Carol

Answer
Hi, Carol!
To answer your follow up question, jockey agents like all other racing industry employees have to be licensed.
So, the way it works in the horse racing industry is that each Jockey Agent would need to get a state gaming/ racing license specific to that particular state in which they work (jurisdictional).  
The state racing commission for any particular state would have that information.
I hope that helps!

Horse Racing

Hal Wafer