Horse Racing/Economic impact of horse racing

I have to write a term paper on the economic impact of horse racing. It has to be 8-10 pages and im just having the hardest time trying to find information where i can write that much about. I have notes on the illegal medicine usage, breeding, veterinarians' oath, training and gambling. BUT ITS JUST NOT ENOUGH. HELP! :) So question is what is the economic impact on it?

Hi, Kristina!
There are several sources where you can get this information; Economic Impact of Saratoga Race Meet (since you are from or in New York, I thought that would be interesting for you) and a National Economic Impact Study at (National Thoroughbred Racing Association), and for Harness Racing the USTA (United States Trotting Association).

Here is a brief overview how the horse racing industry impacts the Nation and states.
Not only does the horse racing industry directly impacts the local economy and the state economy where the racetrack is operating through taxes, jobs and etc, but it also has a far reaching impact on many secondary business that rely on it's lively hood or existence.
This ranges from: local farms, farriers, vendors for the track (food, paper goods & etc), jobs added to the local area, and all of this directly and indirectly impacts each local and state government with an increase in additional tax money from the sport of horse racing.

I hope this quick & brief overview is able to shed a little more light on this question for you
And I hope the resources I pointed out will be able to give you more specific quantifiable answers required for your term paper?...If you have any further questions feel free to ask for my help.

Thank you,

Horse Racing

Hal Wafer

Hal's Expertise covers the horse racing (pari-mutuel) industry and he can answer all handicapping questions from new fans, novice horseplayers or experienced bettors. His horse racing turf-knowledge is extensive and covers the full scope of the industry from Handicapping, Odds, Handicapping Principles, Handicapping Tournaments, Tournament Mentoring and Industry Operations on Multiple Levels. Additionally, he is the founder of a innovative website that will be LAUNCHING SOON called This website will offer the new fan or novice horseplayer sophisticated tools which will put the new fan on "par" with experienced horseplayers daily at the track or "level" the playing field for the new contest enthusiast in the tournament room!

•NHC Players Committee Member NTRA •Horse Racing Analyst •Treasurer Greyhound Pets of America-Tucson Chapter •Director of Marketing/ Assistant Director of Simulcasting/ Assistant Director of Player Development Tucson Greyhound Park •Technical Gaming Consultant Pacific Productions, Movie "INGENIOUS". INGENIOUS stars Dallas Roberts ("3:10 to Yuma", "Walk the Line") and two-time Academy Award Best Actor Nominee, Jeremy Renner ("The Hurt Locker", "The Town"). •Consultant •Bookmaker/ Oddsmaker Racing Services, de Mexico •Race & Sports Book Operations Coast Hotel & Resorts •Race Book Operations Coast Hotel & Resorts

•NTRA/ NHC Players Committee Member (2010–to-Present) The National Handicapping Championship Players Panel is a 13 member panel that is hand selected. Hal Wafer was only one of three selected to be added to this select committee in 2010. The Players Committee represents tournament players by meeting with the National Thoroughbred Racing Association on a regular basis to discuss suggestions, ideas and concerns of NHC contest participants. This panel is the players voice!

•Published one of the industry’s first “How to Books” on handicapping contests titled “A Survey of Track Handicapping Contests-Rules-Suggestions-Potential” was published in 1999 by Harness Tracks of America, which was used as a guide by The Daily Racing Form and NTRA for creating their National Handicapping Championship • • •Tucson Greyhound Park •Arizona Player Gaming and Entertainment Guide

•University of Arizona Animal Science/Race Track Industry Program 2000 •Pima Community College International Business Studies 1997 •SUNY at Morrisville Journalism Technology & Communications 1996

Tournament Success: •Qualified for & Finished 14th in the 2012 Breeders' Cup Betting Challenge which is the richest "live" money tournament in the United States. •Finished 8th at "The Battle of Saratoga" 2012 an NHC Qualifier. •Finished 3rd at "The Southwest Shootout" 2007 at Sunland Park that is a NHC Qualifier for the NHC IX Finals. •Finished *20 at DRF/ NTRA National Handicapping Championship IX held in Las Vegas, NV. •Finished 4th at "The Battle of Saratoga" 2010 an NHC Qualifier which qualified him for the NHC XII. •Finished 5th at Green Valley NHC Qualifier in 2009. Tournament Mentoring Success: •Mentored numerous Tournament players in qualifying for NHC Finals & varying contest championships and cashing-in at these events! Technical Gaming Consultant Pacific Productions, Movie "INGENIOUS" •INGENIOUS stars Dallas Roberts ("3:10 to Yuma", "Walk the Line") and two-time Academy Award Best Actor Nominee, Jeremy Renner ("The Hurt Locker", "The Town").

• • • •California Racing Fairs (C.A.R.F.) •United States Trotting Association •Michigan Harness Horseman's Association