Horse Racing/OCDs at older horse

Dear Maureen,
Do You find dangerous that OCDs first occur at 5yo? I have a male racehorse with over 20 starts, and he didn't have any problems till now. It doesn't swells but we can fell a heating from inside. He has naturealy high heels.
Thank You, best regards!

Thank you for your question.  OCD is a very baffling disorder to veterinarians and scientific researchers alike.

OCD more commonly manifests in younger horses, usually by age 2.  If you have an older horse that is beginning to exhibit the signs of OCD more than likely it has been present all along but had escaped diagnosis.  Although you didn't specify which joints were showing pathology, I still think you have been very fortunate that your horse has been symptom free for so many years.

My suggestion is to seek qualified medical attention to monitor your horse's condition,  especially if you intend to continue his racing career.

The links below may provide some more info on the condition so that you can be better equipped to ask the right questions to your veterinarian.  

Best wishes to you,

Maureen Millen

OCD info links:

Horse Racing

Maureen Millen

Horse Training, Vet and Medical (layperson level), horse care, racehorse training and conditioning. Holistic Health.

30 years in equine industry, author of The Racehorse Trainers Test (, national award-winning TV producer, equine video producer. I have owned, shown 2 World Champions and a reserve World Champion, had many regional and state champions. Past experience includes: Certified Equine Appraiser, a Bloodstock Agent, Licensed Racehorse Trainer, stud farm manager, training farm manager, equine and canine rescue founder, retail upper management.

All major equine organizations and publications

University of Houston, Accounting , Media, Writing