Horse Racing/preparing the horse for race

Question
hello sir, lets suppose you got a new horse to your stable. let it be a 4 year old thoroughbred gelding. how would you prepare it for the race? i mean, how many trots, canter and gallops you would give it in morning workouts for it to be strong enough to win the race?

Answer
hi --  well you would try to find out how much training it had before you got it in your stable. i usually start from scratch.. i train 3 months. 3 weeks of gallops then one work out for a short distance  say 3 furlongs then a week of gallops then the second work say 4 fur then three weeks of gallops then a third work out say 5 fur . so a total time of 3 months of gallops and quite a few work outs from the gate and the poles. the gate work is most important to school the horse before they start in the race. by now you should know if the horse needs blinkers and what type of bit and bandages and so forth. then you have to pick at what class to start at. i usually start at the class i think they can win out. also use different jockeys in the work outs to pick the one who fits the horse.  hope that helps you.. thanks ED HESS  

Horse Racing

Ed Hess