Horse Racing/feeding hay after exercise

hello sir, why should  a horse be fed hay or turned out as soon as it returns to the barn from exercise irrespective of any gait (trot, canter, seat hack, gallop)? why grains and bran shouldn't be fed immediately?

hi-- i am very particular about feeding any horse any food after a workout etc. you need to let a horse cool out very well before you give them anything to eat or drink. at least 1 hr   you can cause a horse to founder if you do something like feed him too fast after he is cooled out. and hay can choke him because he is hot and has so saliva when chewing the hay causing it to be too dry  to SWALLOW. thanks ED HESS

Horse Racing

Ed Hess

Have trained thoroughbreds for 30 odd years. Have been a licensed trainer for that long of time. I continue to train my race horses and thoroughly enjoy every day.

Experience: Licensed trainer for over 30 yrs. Have had lots of winners in all different types of races - from bottom claimers to top quality stakes winners. My best money winner was Aristocratic Cross (multiple stakes winner). My best claiming horse was Navajo Family, winner of 12 races in one year. I still enjoy racing a modest stable of horses each year.