Horse Racing/jockeys lean forward

leaning forward
leaning forward  
hello sir,why do jockeys lean forward rather than keeping their spine straight while trotting? dont they get unbalanced?

This is normal riding posture that a jockey needs to balance over his feet. If this rider leans back then you will see all his weight is behind his feet. Also the reins are usually tied too short for a rider to sit back causing him to balance and pull in his mouth. Draw a center line straight down from the back of the jockey's head, through his shoulders down to the balls of his feet to get an idea of center-of-gravity.

Horse Racing

Christopher Crocker

All questions pertaining to thoroughbred horse racing from a trainer's perspective. All questions about thoroughbred training methods, equine biochemistry and physiology. General questions about strategies and economics of thoroughbred horse racing. I will also be pleased to answer general questions about training and caring for horses of all breeds.

I have been breaking, schooling and training thoroughbred race horses for over 17 years.

High school graduate 1992. Dalfort Aircraft 1994. Licensed thoroughbred horse trainer in the United States and Canada.

Track record with Chedi at Colonial Downs 2011. Multiple Stakes Placed Trainer.