Horse Racing/worse hands

worse hands
worse hands  
hello sir, this horse was worked at a slow steady canter by this jockey at our racetrack. i found the horse gaping its mouth. would you feel this rider has worse pair of hands or horse jaws are too soft?

This horse may need a nose band to hold his mouth shut for better control. The horse is fighting the bit. This is more of a habit developed by the horse, not a rider issue. Although poor training may have taught the horse to not give into the bit. The rider may be able to correct this by changing bits or the position and force in which he holds the reins, but I can't say it's the rider who is causing this problem. The trainer should check this horse's teeth to make sure the bit sits correctly in the mouth and doesn't cause discomfort.

Horse Racing

Christopher Crocker

All questions pertaining to thoroughbred horse racing from a trainer's perspective. All questions about thoroughbred training methods, equine biochemistry and physiology. General questions about strategies and economics of thoroughbred horse racing. I will also be pleased to answer general questions about training and caring for horses of all breeds.

I have been breaking, schooling and training thoroughbred race horses for over 17 years.

High school graduate 1992. Dalfort Aircraft 1994. Licensed thoroughbred horse trainer in the United States and Canada.

Track record with Chedi at Colonial Downs 2011. Multiple Stakes Placed Trainer.