Horse Racing/worse hands

Question
worse hands
worse hands  
hello sir, this horse was worked at a slow steady canter by this jockey at our racetrack. i found the horse gaping its mouth. would you feel this rider has worse pair of hands or horse jaws are too soft?

Answer
This horse may need a nose band to hold his mouth shut for better control. The horse is fighting the bit. This is more of a habit developed by the horse, not a rider issue. Although poor training may have taught the horse to not give into the bit. The rider may be able to correct this by changing bits or the position and force in which he holds the reins, but I can't say it's the rider who is causing this problem. The trainer should check this horse's teeth to make sure the bit sits correctly in the mouth and doesn't cause discomfort.

Horse Racing

Christopher Crocker