Horse Racing/gallop training

Question
Ive been advised by my vet to do some fast work with my 10 year old Anglo arab mare in order to raise her red blood cell count a little (its on the low side of normal, 11.70.  The mare is happy and well in her work and her blood count has never been higher than 12.7.  We normally do longer, slower uphill work (3 hour trail rides at walk, trot and some canter).
Ive received a reply from All Experts explaining how I can increase her work gradually over short distances and work at around 180 beats per minute every 5 days, beginning with distances of 400m.  
I have a further question related to this, but the expert who replied is no longer available for questions.  Id like to know if increasing the speed of our trail rides uphill (say to around 160 beats) will have a similar effect to galloping on the flat?  Thank you for your answer, Julie.

Answer
hi Julie ---- well, I would train the horse in accordance to what you expect of the horse to do. in race horse training, we train long and slow in order to build up the wind and endurance in the horse. up hill training will help improve both of these aspects. as far as the blood count on your horse I would ask your vet to prescribe  a vitamin additive to improve the horses blood count.  thanks ED HESS

Horse Racing

Ed Hess