Horse Racing/plastic bits on soft jawed horses

Question
QUESTION: hello sir, can i use plastic bits like the apple mouth or happy mouth bits on soft jawed horses?

ANSWER: hi --- i have never heard of such bits.  we use rubber covered bits , such as a snaffle for a horse that has a soft mouth. most of the problems however, come from bad teeth and caps that need to be pulled out. if you float their teeth every 6 months, you should have no problems with soft bits. thanks ED HESS

plastic bit
plastic bit  
QUESTION: sir, i meant these bits. can i use these bits on soft jawed horses?

ANSWER: HI -- I GUESS YOU CAN USE THESE BITS AS LONG AS THET DO NOT PUT PRESSURE ON A SOFT JAWED HORSES MOUTH. RUBBER COVERED OR JUST HARD RUBBER BITS ARE USUALLY USED ON SOFT JAWED HORSES. THANKS ED HESS

QUESTION: hello sir, may i know what do you mean by "horses with bad teeth" and "caps"?

Answer
HI ---  when you have the tooth ferry float your horses teeth every 6 months, you avoid all of the tooth problems that they may have. caps are removed in the younger horses. the teeth grow in layers, the top layers must be removed at a certain time in order to keep the caps from bothering the horses. thanks ED HESS  

Horse Racing

Ed Hess