Horse Racing/weak or healthy - body weight

hello sir, lets suppose a thoroughbred racing colt weighed 450kgs 3 weeks back and today it weight is 470kgs. according to its body weight, is it healthy or weak?

It is hard to say based on weight alone. A trainer should know what weight his horse performs best and use that as a comparison. A horse is naturally going to lose a significant amount of weight after a strong effort. Weight loss is also a good indication of how strong that effort was. The weight gain after 3 weeks should indicate the horse is healthier, but not necessarily at his optimum performance weight.

Horse Racing

Christopher Crocker

All questions pertaining to thoroughbred horse racing from a trainer's perspective. All questions about thoroughbred training methods, equine biochemistry and physiology. General questions about strategies and economics of thoroughbred horse racing. I will also be pleased to answer general questions about training and caring for horses of all breeds.

I have been breaking, schooling and training thoroughbred race horses for over 17 years.

High school graduate 1992. Dalfort Aircraft 1994. Licensed thoroughbred horse trainer in the United States and Canada.

Track record with Chedi at Colonial Downs 2011. Multiple Stakes Placed Trainer.