Horse Racing/Workouts

Question
Ed,
Am amongst many, I'm sure, who are trying to incorporate workouts into the analysis of a horse's predictability for an upcoming race.
I have many questions regarding workouts but, in your opinion:
1) If the last race is a Turf and today is a Turf, does the most current workout on dirt render the horse questionable or do I leave it up to the trainer and regard it as sharpening?
2) Do I give more emphasis on a 'Handily' over 'Breezing' in the last workout prior to today's race?
3) How many days prior to today's race to I regard a workout as the most effective?
4) How can I compare today's distance with recent workout distances so as to feel comfortable the horse is in condition?

I have many more questions and would love to pick your brain.  Analyzing the trainer's mind regarding workouts is quite the chore.

Thanks for your time,
Jim

Answer
HI   I WOULD THINK THAT THE WORKOUT IS FOR SHARPENING UP THE HORSE FOR THE RACE. SOME TRAINERS DO LIKE TO SEE A GOOD BREEZE  WHICH WOULD BE HANDILY, BUT OTHER TRAINERS JUST WANT TO SEE A WORK TO MKAE SURE THE HORSE IS UP TO PAR.  I HAD A BIG STUD HORSE THAT I WOULD WORK 6 FURLONGS 2 DAYS BEFORE HE RAN BECAUSE HE WAS A BIG STIFF GOING HORSE AND HAD TO BE SHARP IN ORDER TO RUN HIS BEST RACE.  USUALLY A TRAINER WILL WORK THE HORSE IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE DISTANCE HE IS RUNNING.  THANKS   ED HESS

Horse Racing

Ed Hess