Horse Racing/Maiden Claiming Race

What is the percentage of horses claimed in maiden claiming races?

I don't know the exact percentage, but I suspect it's a pretty small number (less than 10%, probably much less).  The horses in maiden claimers are rarely worth the price for which they are running. In Southern California, the circuit with which I'm most familiar, I just checked the last two full weeks and found 15 races for maiden claimers and there were 10 claims.  If the average maiden claimer has 10 entrants per race, that's 10 claims from 150 horses.  Three of the claims came in one race that had a top claiming price of $50,000, which makes sense.  The odds of a claim is more likely in maiden claimers with a higher price tag.  I hope this helps.

Horse Racing

Michael Goodman

I can answer questions about handicapping and betting horse races. I can answer questions about speed figures and morning workouts of race horses on the southern California workout circuit (Santa Anita, Hollywood Park, and Del Mar racetracks).

I started as a casual race fan in 1978, became a serious fan in the 1980's, worked as a pari-mutuel clerk in the mid-1980's, was a serious bettor (earning hundreds of thousands of dollars in the late 1980's and early 1990's), sold shares in race horse syndicates in 1992-93 as a part of the Team Valor stable, was the customer service director for the Handicapper's Report publication from 1993-1997, became the owner and publisher of Handicapper's Report from 1997-2001, continue to work as a writer and consultant to Handicapper's Report to this day.

Handicapper's Report ( SoCalSpecial ( Phillips Racing Newsletter Meadow's Racing Monthly

I've been involved in the horse racing industry for more than 34 years, learning by doing.