Horse Racing/no canter no gallop for open kneed babies

Question
QUESTION: hello sir. shouldnt a trainer canter and gallop the 2 year old whose knees are not closed yet? what happens if he does so?

ANSWER: hi  no never train a 2 yo with open knees, that will cause all kinds of damage to the knees.  always xray to see if the knees are closed before you do any training. thanks ED HESS

QUESTION: thanks for the answer. can i canter the tacked up opened kneed 2 year old on lunge (without rider astride)?

ANSWER: HI   NO TRAINING AT ALL WHEN THE KNEES ARE NOT COMPLETELY CLOSED AND THAT WILL BE OK'D BY YOUR WHEN HE XRAYS THE KNNES. THANKS ED HESS

QUESTION: sir, then what should i do with my 2 year old until its knees are closed as you are telling that no training should be given?

Answer
hi  some trainers do not even train their 2 yo's till they are 3 yo's.  you can saddle break them , ground drive them them,  get them use to the bridel etc and then turn them out till the vet xrays their knees to make sure they are completely closed. then you can train them and get ready for their racing. i am telling you know, that if you train a 2 yo with open knees , then you will have a horse that will get all kinds of leg problems in the near future. aks your vet about  his opinion on training 2 yo with open knees.  thanks ED HESS

Horse Racing

Ed Hess