Horse Racing/pedigreequery HYMN

hello sir. i have browsed and type "HYMN" a stallion presently standing at an Indian stud farm. can you please explain me each and every part of the below statement? especially i would like to know what is {5-h}.

HYMN   (IRE) b. H, 1997 {5-h} DP = 8-8-16-0-0 (32) DI = 3.00   CD = 0.75 - 9 Starts, 3 Wins, 2 Places, 0 Shows Career Earnings: $190,231

Hi Rohit:

Thanks for your question.  The pedigree for Hymn and the explanation for all of the various components is listed below:

Name = HYMN

Country of Birth = Ireland

Color = brown or bay

Sex = horse

Birth year = 1997

Female Family = 5H (explained below)

(These number-letter combinations refer to the family from which the horse is genetically descended through their dam line.  Female family numbers are calculated by looking down the tail female pedigree (dam’s, dam, dam, etc.) as far back as it goes. Most modern thoroughbred can trace tail female to one of 43 mares that founded the breed. At the end of the 19th century, a man named Bruce Lowe categorized each of these families and gave the one that produced the most stakes winners the number 1, second most stakes winning family got the number 2, etc. Research later extended this to 73 families and in the 1950′s Bobinski updated the family tables and separated each of Bruce Lowe’s families into sub categories (family 1 was splint into 1-a, 1-b, etc.). There are roughly 200 branches or sub families that are recognized today.  Family numbers are used mostly today to check the accuracy of pedigrees and to classify particularly strong female influences. Some people consider some families to be “sire” families and others to be “broodmare” families. For instance, family 8 is a sire family responsible for producing a lot of good sires and male race horses and they’d like to see colts produced from that family rather than fillies. For instance, a mare tracing to family 1-x will always be tail female to La Troienne which is a really good female family in racehorses. Family 9-c will often go through Lady Josephine and there are other famous mares that pop up in pedigrees all the time. This page ( explains to whom the numbers belong. The 5-h belongs to an English founding mare, Ann of the Forest (b. 1790):"

Dosage Statistics = DP = 8-8-16-0-0 (32) DI = 3.00   CD = 0.75

(Explained here -

Stats = (self-explanatory) 9 starts with 3 wins and 2 seconds earning $190,231.00

Won the Hawthorne Derby (G3) and finished in a dead heat for second in the American Derby (G2)

I hope this helps you understand the pedigree for the horse "Hymn".  If you feel that I have sufficiently replied to your question, please leave me a favorable rating.  

Horse Racing

Jim Johnson

I can answer all questions regarding the sport of gambling on either or both thoroughbreds and greyhounds - beginning with the initial handicapping process with regard to decisions on which horse or dog to wager, through the wagering process, and ending with the results and profits or losses from those wagers. See my website at

I have worked in thoroughbred tracks and greyhound tracks for the last 30 years and have been highly successful in making profits from my own handicapping systems, both in sales of my systems, and use of my systems in the wagering process. I publish and sell a "Tip Sheet" for any track in the continental United States, Canada, and one greyhound track in Mexico.

Mutuel Clerk Guild of Arkanas

"The Perfect Speed Handicapping System" for handicapping thoroughbred races and "Greyhounds - The Ultimate Speed Machine" system for handicapping greyhound races. These are books that I have written and sell on the internet.

Bachelor of Business Administration Degree from East Texas College, in Commerce, Texas.

Multiple "High Five" awards for exceptional customer relations treatment by the Oaklawn Jockey Club.

Publishing a "Tip Sheet" in-track for sale at Oaklawn Jockey Club and "Jim's Big Three Best Bets" (also for sale at Oaklawn Jockey Club) on greyhound simulcast races. Have puplished "Tip Sheets" for greyhound and thoroughbred tracks in Arkanas, Kansas, and West Virginia.