Horse Racing/bleeding through nostrils

Question
QUESTION: hello sir. if my horse is bleeding through its nostrils, immediately what should i do before approaching the vet?

ANSWER: hi  when bleeding through the nose means that is has come up from the lungs or has a broken blood vessel in the head somewhere. i would always run cold water over the head till your vet gets there at the horse. that will help slow down the bleeding , but will not stop the bleeding.  thanks ED HESS

QUESTION: hello sir, how can i get to know that my horse has broken blood vessel in the head somewhere and bleeding through nostrils?

Answer
HI  IF YOUR HORSE BLEEDS DURING A RACE LIGHTLY , THEN I WOULD EXPECT THAT HE HAS BROKEN A SMALL BLOOD VESSEL IN THE HEAD. IF THE HORSE BLEEDS VERY BADLY, THEN I WOULD EXPECT THAT HE IS BLEEDING FROM THE LUNGS. THE ONLY WAY TO MAKE SURE , IS TO HAVE YOUR VET SCOPE HIM AFTER A WORK OUT OR RACE TO FIND WHERE HE IS BLEEDING FROM. USUALY THE VET PRESCRIBES A ANTIBIOTIC FOR A WEEK OR SO THE CLEAR UP AND INFECTION IN THE LUNGS ETC. ALWAYS USE YOUR VET WHEN YOU HAVE A HORSE THAT IS BLEEDING.  THANKS ED HESS

Horse Racing

Ed Hess