Horse Racing/what to feed my new horse

Question
hello sir. i have a plan of buying a 7 year old retired thoroughbred racehorse from our local racetrack and keep it at my house. i am buying it for hack riding. can you suggest me what all i can feed him? as per my knowledge, at the racetrack he was fed oats, wheat bran, lucerne, carrots and supplements.

Answer
HI WOULD KEEP FEEDING WHAT THE OTHER GUY WAS FEEDING HIM TILL YOU CAN CHANGE HIM OVER TO A MORE OFF THE TRACK TYPE OF FEED.  OATS WILL KEEP HIM ON HIS TOES WHERE AS A LOWER QUALITY FEED WILL MELLOW HIM OUT FOR YOU TO RIDE. THEY MUST MAKE A FEED WITH EVERYTHING ALREADY IN IT AT ABOUT 15 % PROTEIN.  THANKS ED HESS

Horse Racing

Ed Hess