Horse Racing/sand for training horses

Question
QUESTION: hello sir, our horses are exercised on sand and raced on grass. may i know why sand is used for training horses? is sand comfortable for horses?

ANSWER: HI   I THINK THAT THE SAND IS GOOD FOR THEIR FEET AND EASY ON THEM WHILE TRAINING. SAND ALSO GIVES AWAY A LITTLE WHEN GALLOPING , THUS IT HELPS THEM KEEP THEM  FIT BETWEN RACES. THANKS ED HESS

QUESTION: so sir, you say that sand is easier for horses to be exercised on. but our trainers keep telling that sand is hard for horses. are they correct?

ANSWER: HI I HAVE WON MANY A RAce by training in sand. sand is easy on the legs etc. i roped a horse for 1/2 hr a day for 30 days in a 60 foot sand ring and ran him and he won the race. the horse was fit and running before i let him train in the sand ring, so i can say that the snd training was very good for the horse. the only way you can prove it to the other trainers is to rope a horse for a period of time, then race him. the proof is in the pudding. thanks ed hess

QUESTION: sir, may i know what do you mean by "roping a horse"? did you mean lunging or cantering in the sand ring?

Answer
HI I MEANT LUNGING ON A LONG LINE BOTH DIRECTIONS OF THE RING FOR ABOUT 30 MINS A DAY. THIS WILL KEEP YOUR HORSE FIT AND READY TO RUN BETWEEN RACES. IF YOU DO NOT RUN FOR A MONTH OR SO, THEN I WOULD WORK THE HORSE BEFORE YOU RACE AGAIN . THANKS ED HESS  

Horse Racing

Ed Hess