Horse Racing/Horse racing history

Hi wonder if you can tell me, I was told that you used to have to enter the derby in order to enter the Belmont is this true???? Thanks!

I'm sorry it's taken so long to respond.  No, I don't believe that has ever been necessary.  There was a time when there was a bonus system for horses entered in the Triple Crown races that involved points for finish positions.  The horses with the most points shared the bonus money.  To be eligible for the bonuses, a horse had to enter and run in all three races.  But the wear and tear on most of the horses resulted in a few being entered in the Belmont and just cantering around the track to finish the race and qualify for the bonus.  But I'm certain it has never been a requirement that a horse run in the Derby to become eligible for the Belmont.

Horse Racing

Michael Goodman

I can answer questions about handicapping and betting horse races. I can answer questions about speed figures and morning workouts of race horses on the southern California workout circuit (Santa Anita, Hollywood Park, and Del Mar racetracks).

I started as a casual race fan in 1978, became a serious fan in the 1980's, worked as a pari-mutuel clerk in the mid-1980's, was a serious bettor (earning hundreds of thousands of dollars in the late 1980's and early 1990's), sold shares in race horse syndicates in 1992-93 as a part of the Team Valor stable, was the customer service director for the Handicapper's Report publication from 1993-1997, became the owner and publisher of Handicapper's Report from 1997-2001, continue to work as a writer and consultant to Handicapper's Report to this day.

Handicapper's Report ( SoCalSpecial ( Phillips Racing Newsletter Meadow's Racing Monthly

I've been involved in the horse racing industry for more than 34 years, learning by doing.