Horse Racing/drinking water on the raceday

Hi sir. on the race day, my horse's groom told me that after the horse eats its feed, he would provide water, let the horse take few sips of water and then he removes the water bucket. may i know why? shouldn't the horse drink too much of water on the day he's going to race?

hi   that is a practice followed at the race track on race day. sometime even the night before they will take away any hay if the horse is a bleeder. they want to draw the horse to make sure the horse is not full of feed and water when they race.  thanks ED HESS

Horse Racing

Ed Hess

Have trained thoroughbreds for 30 odd years. Have been a licensed trainer for that long of time. I continue to train my race horses and thoroughly enjoy every day.

Experience: Licensed trainer for over 30 yrs. Have had lots of winners in all different types of races - from bottom claimers to top quality stakes winners. My best money winner was Aristocratic Cross (multiple stakes winner). My best claiming horse was Navajo Family, winner of 12 races in one year. I still enjoy racing a modest stable of horses each year.