Horse Racing/racehorse trainer career

Question
hello. I want to become a thoroughbred racehorse trainer in your country. Since I am an Indian and non-citizen of US, do I have that chance? If yes, suggest me the right track to start my career.

Answer
Doesn't India have a horse racing industry? One of earliest books I read on breeding thoroughbreds was written by an Indian and discussed horses that had raced in India. The key is going to be learning the needed skills and building credibility within the industry. You can do this in any country that has racing. Become the best in your own country, or in Australia, or New Zealand, and you will get the opportunity to work in the U.S. Start by getting a job in a stable as a hotwalker or a groom. If they like you, let them know you'd like to be a trainer and some day you'll get to be an assistant trainer. But you'll need to learn all there is about the physique and biology of the horses as well as training techniques. Like most good jobs, you need to start at the bottom, gain experience, and study hard. When you're ready to become a trainer, you'll have to be able to network with the kinds of people that own racehorses. Many top trainers in the U.S. came up this way and others (like Bob Baffert and D. Wayne Lukas) started out by working with quarter horses. If you're already a trainer and are looking to move to the U.S., one good way is to become a bloodstock agent. Help Americans find good racing stock and one may give you the shot you need.

Horse Racing

Michael Goodman