Horse Racing/consuming oats

QUESTION: hello sir. i am really unable to understand how many pounds of oats should a racehorse consume per 100 pounds body weight. can you please tell me?

ANSWER: hi   you feed accordingly to the size of the horse and the amount of training you plan on doing.  so i would feed a horse a mixture of oats and sweetfeed about 6 quarts of oats and 4 quarts of sweetfeed. as you train you can either add more oats or not accordingly to how the horse looks . thanks ED HESS

QUESTION: thanks for the answer. My horse trainer feeds 3kgs oats with 1/2 kg wheat bran in the morning at 9am and 4.5kgs oats with 1/2kg wheat bran in evening at 6pm for all his stable horses. is he over feeding? we do include supplements for horses.

hi every horse is different when it comes to feeding them. you will have to train the horse and see just how much feed he needs to stay in top racing condition. bran will have a tendacy to keep a horse more loose in his stool. i only feed bran after a hard race.  thanks ED HESS  

Horse Racing

Ed Hess

Have trained thoroughbreds for 30 odd years. Have been a licensed trainer for that long of time. I continue to train my race horses and thoroughly enjoy every day.

Experience: Licensed trainer for over 30 yrs. Have had lots of winners in all different types of races - from bottom claimers to top quality stakes winners. My best money winner was Aristocratic Cross (multiple stakes winner). My best claiming horse was Navajo Family, winner of 12 races in one year. I still enjoy racing a modest stable of horses each year.