Horse Racing/16 pounds of oats per day for thoroughbred racehorse

Question
hello sir. does 16 pounds of oats with bran, supplements, carrots, chopped alfalfa hay be sufficient for a thoroughbred racehorse? i would feed my horse 3 times day 4 pounds of oats in the morning at 8:30am, 8 pounds at 5pm and at 1am again 4 pounds.

Answer
HI  DEPENDS ON THE SIZE OF THE HORSE YOU ARE TRAINING. 16LBS MIGHT BE A BIT MUCH FOR A HORSE THAT IS NOT IN HEAVY TRAINING. FEEDING 3 TIMES A DAY IS A GOOD THING AS IT USUALY TAKES 12 HOURS  TO PASS THRU A HORSES DIGESTIVE SYSTEM. I WOULD FEED A SMALL AMOUNT OF OATS EARLY IN THE AM A HOUR OR SO BEFORE TRAINING, THEN I FEED 4 QUARTS AFTER TRAINING AND THE AROUND 5 OR SO THE REG NIGHT FEEDING. REMEMBER THAT OVER FEEDING OF PROTIEN IS NOT GOOD. I FEED ABOUT 12 % ONLY. TOO MUCH PROTEIN CAUSES PROBLEMS WITH THE LEGS FILLING UP ETC. OK  THANKS ED HESS

Horse Racing

Ed Hess