Horse Racing/3 year olds getting rating

Question
hello sir. here in INDIA, 3 year olds run in the race along with their same age group buddy horses. but, after few runs they get rating and run in handicap races along with older horses. My question is. how do these 3 year olds get rating? i mean after how many starts in their career and what about the result in these few starts? until and less they get rating they run with same age group runners in a race called TERMS RACE.

Answer
Hi Caine,
         I am not familiar with racing in India however I expect the system used there will be similar to Englsh racing.
All horses are rated by the official handicapper. He considers a range of conditions and criteria before deciding how well a horse has performed in each race. It will be influenced by how the horse performed against similar horses and a rating is applied so that the horse races against horses performing at a similar level.

Cheers,
Don

Horse Racing

Don Boddie