Horse Racing/3 year olds getting rating

hello sir. here in INDIA, 3 year olds run in the race along with their same age group buddy horses. but, after few runs they get rating and run in handicap races along with older horses. My question is. how do these 3 year olds get rating? i mean after how many starts in their career and what about the result in these few starts? until and less they get rating they run with same age group runners in a race called TERMS RACE.

Hi Caine,
         I am not familiar with racing in India however I expect the system used there will be similar to Englsh racing.
All horses are rated by the official handicapper. He considers a range of conditions and criteria before deciding how well a horse has performed in each race. It will be influenced by how the horse performed against similar horses and a rating is applied so that the horse races against horses performing at a similar level.

Horse Racing

Don Boddie

All aspects of the thoroughbred breeding and racing industry in New Zealand. I race thoroughbreds and have been the Marketing Manager for three NZ racing clubs. If I don`t know the answer to your question I know someone who does!

20 years in the racing industry. Currently focusing on breeding but involved in all aspects of the industry. Ive raced several thoroughbreds with modest success and have had great fun out of it.