Horse Racing/babies at 5 fur

hello sir. may i know why baby racehorses are started at a distance of 1000 meters and 1100 meters?

Hi Caine,
        It is quite normal in world racing to start the young horses (2 yr olds) over short distances. They have a lot to learn and their systems are not conditioned for longer races. They mature quite quickly and some of the early born 2yr olds will step up to longer races towards the end of their 2 yr old season.
In New Zealand and Australia we start them over 800m to begin with.

Don Boddie
New Zealand

Horse Racing

Don Boddie

All aspects of the thoroughbred breeding and racing industry in New Zealand. I race thoroughbreds and have been the Marketing Manager for three NZ racing clubs. If I don`t know the answer to your question I know someone who does!

20 years in the racing industry. Currently focusing on breeding but involved in all aspects of the industry. Ive raced several thoroughbreds with modest success and have had great fun out of it.