Horse Racing/grabbing the bit with one or 2 sides

QUESTION: hello sir, can horses grab the bit at one side or both sides of their jaws? do they do it with upper jaws or lower jaws?

ANSWER: hi   when a horse grabs the bit it has to be with both jaws, upper and lower. if you think they are grabbing the bit from one side of the mouth, it may be that they are sore and are trying to get the bit away from the sore part.  thanks ED HESS

QUESTION: thanks for the answer. so sir, you say that if a horse feels excited, it would grab the bit with both the side of their mouth. if they are doing with one side, it mean they are sore at that side. am i right?

hi  usually when they grab the bit it is because you are pulling on the bit and it has touched a sore part of their mouth so they are trying to get the bit off the sore area.  sometime they are just feeling good and want to just take off and run or gallop fast.  thanks ED HESS

Horse Racing

Ed Hess

Have trained thoroughbreds for 30 odd years. Have been a licensed trainer for that long of time. I continue to train my race horses and thoroughly enjoy every day.

Experience: Licensed trainer for over 30 yrs. Have had lots of winners in all different types of races - from bottom claimers to top quality stakes winners. My best money winner was Aristocratic Cross (multiple stakes winner). My best claiming horse was Navajo Family, winner of 12 races in one year. I still enjoy racing a modest stable of horses each year.