Horse Racing/sharp molars - grabbing the bit

QUESTION: hello sir. do horses tend to grab the bit due to sharp molars during workouts or race?

ANSWER: hi  no if they have sharp molars then they will throw their head when you pull on the bit.  thnaks ED HESS

QUESTION: Thanks for the answer. our indian trainers keep saying that horses tend to grab the bit when they have sharp molars. its alright. i trust your answer. then, when do they grab the bit? for what reason they do it?

hi any mouth problem in a horse will cause the horse to either grab the bit or bore out or in during the race due to the pain caused by the bit touching the affected area in the horses mouth. please have your horses teeth floated every 6 months to prevent these problems.  thanks ED HESS

Horse Racing

Ed Hess

Have trained thoroughbreds for 30 odd years. Have been a licensed trainer for that long of time. I continue to train my race horses and thoroughly enjoy every day.

Experience: Licensed trainer for over 30 yrs. Have had lots of winners in all different types of races - from bottom claimers to top quality stakes winners. My best money winner was Aristocratic Cross (multiple stakes winner). My best claiming horse was Navajo Family, winner of 12 races in one year. I still enjoy racing a modest stable of horses each year.