Horse Racing/bones spurs in horse mouth - grooms the culprits

QUESTION: Hello ma'am. i strongly believe that grooms are the real culprits for the horse to develop bone spurs in their mouth. our grooms pull the lead rope if the horse acts up or gets spooked seeing something. am i right up to an extent. would you agree with my point?

Bone spurs in the mouth, technically called Mandibular Periostitis, is caused by bit trauma that may originate for a number of reasons.

Below is a link which will download a report that will give you more information.

Thank you,
Maureen Millen

TrainersTest. com

QUESTION: hello ma'am. thanks for the answer. instead of surgery, can i use australian noseband on the horse so that bit sits on the upper bars?

That type of noseband only holds the bit up while there is no pressure on the reins.  Once the rider begins to use the reins when riding or galloping, the bit will still be against the bone spurs.  

If you have a horse that has Mandibular Periostitis which is painful, then surgery is the best option.

Thank you,

Maureen Millen

Horse Racing

Maureen Millen

Horse Training, Vet and Medical (layperson level), horse care, racehorse training and conditioning. Holistic Health.

30 years in equine industry, author of The Racehorse Trainers Test (, national award-winning TV producer, equine video producer. I have owned, shown 2 World Champions and a reserve World Champion, had many regional and state champions. Past experience includes: Certified Equine Appraiser, a Bloodstock Agent, Licensed Racehorse Trainer, stud farm manager, training farm manager, equine and canine rescue founder, retail upper management.

All major equine organizations and publications

University of Houston, Accounting , Media, Writing